Wednesday, July 02, 2008
XHTML Conformance and ASP.NET 2.0
Recently one of the UI developers on my team was struggling with having the Name attribute on the HTML Form element and needed a fix for this. In .NET 2.0 the fix is so trivial that in fact I forgot what I did in a similar project until I Google'd and found this switch from Scott Gu's this post.
<xhtmlConformance mode="Strict" />
This reminded me that back in the ol' ASP.NET 1.1 days the hacks that we used to do to get this working, including adding Response Filters and inherit from classes that strip off the non-XHTML complaint markup before the page is rendered, off course at a cost of the performance.
None of these solutions proved to be very useful and often we had to make this compromise and leave non-complaint markup on our pages.
I'm glad that the old .NET 1.1 days are finally over.
Tuesday, July 01, 2008
Database Schema Comparison Utility
Recently I needed a tool to compare two databases, I know that there is a commercial product called SQLCompare from RedGate but there is also a free tool over at Codeproject titled Database Schema Comparison Utility that did the job for me because I didn't need anything beyond basic schema comparison like Automation or Script generation etc. Here's the screenshot of the tool.
While this tool is useful, I noticed that there was bit of a problem with the resulting pane that doesn't resize when the Form is maximized and if you make some changes in your database and Compare Databases again then the old items are not cleared before the results are added. I changed this in the source code and made it available for download here and the demo project is available here.
Update - There is another tool SQLDBDiff that appears to have more features, I haven't tried this one though.